How to Build an AI-Powered Study System Using Google NotebookLM & Anki
I used to be the kid who color-coded every notebook, rewrote lecture slides word for word, and still froze during exams like I'd never opened a book in my life. Sound familiar? For years I thought the problem was me maybe I just wasn't "smart enough" for certain subjects. Turns out the real problem was the method. I was spending hours being busy with my notes instead of actually training my brain to remember anything. Once I stumbled onto a combination of two free tools Google NotebookLM and Anki my whole study routine flipped, and honestly, my grades and my stress levels both got better at the same time. This post is the exact system I use now, no fluff, no "productivity guru" nonsense, just what actually works.
Why Rereading Your Notes Doesn't Work (Even Though It Feels Like It Does)
Here's the trap almost every student falls into at some point. You open your notes, read them a few times, maybe highlight the important parts in a nice bright color, and close the book feeling like you "know this now." That feeling is lying to you. Psychologists call it the fluency illusion when information looks familiar, your brain assumes you know it, even though recognizing something and being able to pull it out of your memory from scratch are two completely different skills. Exams don't ask "does this look familiar?" They ask you to produce the answer with nothing in front of you, and that's exactly the skill rereading never trains.
I learned this the hard way during my second year, when I spent an entire weekend rereading a 40-page unit before an exam and still blanked on half the short-answer questions. What actually changes outcomes is active recall forcing yourself to retrieve information without looking, over and over, spaced out across days instead of crammed into one sitting. That's the whole philosophy behind this system, and it's why NotebookLM and Anki work so well together. One handles the understanding and question-generation side, the other handles the long-term memory side.
Step One: Let NotebookLM Turn Your Messy PDFs Into Something You Actually Understand
If you haven't used Google NotebookLM yet, think of it less like a chatbot and more like a research assistant that only ever talks about the documents you hand it. That's the key difference. Regular AI chat tools pull from everywhere on the internet, which means they can confidently make things up or blend in outdated information you never asked for. NotebookLM only draws from the sources you upload your lecture slides, your class PDFs, your scanned readings, your own typed notes so what it gives you back is grounded in your actual course material, with citations pointing straight back to the page it came from. That citation feature alone is worth the switch, because you're never left wondering whether an explanation is accurate. You just click and check.
Here's how I actually use it. I create a separate notebook for each unit or chapter rather than dumping the whole semester into one giant pile, because a focused notebook gives sharper, more relevant answers. Once my sources are uploaded, I start by asking it to summarize the reading in plain language, the way you'd explain it to a friend who missed class. Then I go one layer deeper and ask it to break down anything I found confusing, using only what's in the uploaded material, so I'm not accidentally learning something outside the scope of my actual syllabus. This step alone usually takes a dense, jargon-heavy 20-page reading and turns it into something I can genuinely explain back in a few minutes. That's the whole goal here not memorizing yet, just building real understanding first, because you can't build strong recall on top of confusion.
Step Two: Turn That Understanding Into Real Practice Questions
This is the step almost nobody does, and it's the one that makes the biggest difference. Once you understand a topic, ask NotebookLM directly to generate practice questions based on your uploaded sources. Don't settle for the first batch it hands you either push it for variety. Ask for a mix of short answer questions, "explain why" questions, and scenario based ones where you have to apply the concept rather than just name it. A stack of twenty questions that all test the same shallow fact isn't going to prepare you for anything.
The part that actually matters, though, isn't generating the questions it's how you use them. Read a question, pause, and force yourself to answer it out loud or in your head before you check anything. This tiny moment of struggle, where your brain has to reach for the answer instead of just recognizing it on the page, is doing more for your memory than an entire evening of passive rereading ever could. I keep a simple Google Doc where I paste the best questions NotebookLM generates for each topic, and that doc becomes the raw material for the next step.
Step Three: Hand Everything Over to Anki for Long-Term Retention
Understanding fades. That's just how memory works, and no amount of "getting it" in the moment will stop information from slipping away a week later if you never revisit it. This is where Anki comes in, and it's genuinely one of the most underrated free tools a student can use. Anki is a flashcard app built on spaced repetition instead of showing you every card every day like a normal flashcard deck, it tracks how well you know each one and schedules your next review right before you're likely to forget it. Get a card right, and it pushes that card further into the future. Get it wrong or hesitate, and it brings the card back sooner so the memory doesn't fully fade.
This is completely different from cramming, where you might see a fact fifty times in one night and still lose it a week later. Spaced repetition works with your brain's natural forgetting curve instead of fighting it. To build my deck, I take the questions and answers I generated with NotebookLM and turn each one into a single, focused card one fact or idea per card, nothing crammed together. I learned this lesson the slow way, because my early Anki cards were way too broad, trying to test three ideas at once, and I ended up quitting the habit within two weeks because reviewing felt exhausting instead of quick. Keep every card small, specific, and clearly worded, and reviewing becomes something you can knock out in ten or fifteen minutes without dreading it.
Step Four: Build the Daily Habit That Actually Holds This Together
Neither tool does much on its own if you only use it once before an exam and forget about it. The system only works when it becomes a rhythm. Here's roughly how mine looks. Once or twice a week, usually right after a lecture, I spend maybe 20 to 30 minutes feeding new material into NotebookLM, generating fresh questions, and turning the best of them into Anki cards. That's the "input" side, where new information gets processed and understood.
Then, every single day, whether or not I added anything new that week, I open Anki and clear whatever cards are due. Some days that's five cards. Some days it's forty. It rarely takes more than 15 to 20 minutes once the deck is running steadily, and I usually do it first thing in the morning with coffee, before my day gets busy enough for me to talk myself out of it. That daily habit is the "output" side, where everything you've already learned gets protected instead of quietly leaking out of your memory. Neither step replaces actually going to class, doing your readings, or asking your professor questions when you're stuck. But together, they replace the frantic, low-payoff rereading that eats up so much time for so little return, and they're both completely free.
A Few Common Mistakes to Avoid
Since I've been running this system for a while now, here's what usually trips people up when they try it for the first time, and it's worth knowing before you dive in. Uploading your entire semester into one NotebookLM notebook makes answers vague and unfocused, so keep each notebook tied to a single unit or topic. Writing Anki cards that test too much at once is the fastest way to burn out and quit within two weeks, so keep each card down to one clear fact. Skipping the daily review because "I'll catch up this weekend" defeats the entire point of spaced repetition, since the scheduling only works if you're consistent, not perfect. And treating the AI-generated summaries as something to memorize word for word instead of something to understand in your own words is a trap the goal was never to skip thinking, it was to skip wasted time.
The Takeaway
You don't need a complicated setup or hours of extra work to start studying smarter. You need to stop rereading and start retrieving, and let a little daily consistency do the heavy lifting. Start small this week: upload one set of notes into NotebookLM, turn what it gives you into five or six Anki cards, and commit to just ten minutes of review tomorrow morning. That's genuinely the whole system, and once it's running, it compounds a lot faster than you'd expect.

facebook instagram Linkedin Reddit